Monday, May 4, 2015

May The Fourth Be With You

Little known fact, I am a huge Star Wars fan. I will geek out over Star Wars about as much as I geek out over Harry Potter. If you ever bring up Star Wars around me, be prepared. Now, I am super biased and I will always love the original trilogy way more than the prequels, but I flipped out over The Force Awakens trailer all the same. And since today is Star Wars day and it's been 38 years since the release of the first Star Wars, here are 38 pictures, quotes, and fun facts for you to enjoy on Star Wars Day!

Director, Irvin Kershner

"May the Force be with you" - Han Solo 

Some variation of the phrase "I have a bad feeling about this" is spoken in every film

Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca

Practicing with lightsabers

The Star Wars character Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader has been played by six different actors. They include David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Bob Anderson, Sebastian Shaw, Jake Lloyd, and Hayden Christensen.


The creature that pulls Luke underwater in the trash compactor scene in A New Hope is called a "Dianoga"

On the set of Empire Strikes Back, David Prowse's (Darth Vader) spoken line in the revelation scene was, "Obi-Wan killed your father," to help ensure secrecy. Only a few people knew that the line would actually be, "No. I am your father."

Alec Guinness and George Lucas

David Prowse, Peter Cushing, and Mark Hamill


"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda



The idea for Chewbacca came from George Lucas' dog, Indiana


The Skywalker family was originally supposed to be dwarves

Getting ready to film the scene in ESB where Luke gets his hand cut off

Kenny Baker as R2-D2 (he was actually inside R2)

Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Vader: No. I am your father. 



Star Wars - A New Hope still remains the second highest domestic grossing film of all time with inflation adjusted (Empire, and Jedi are also in the top 15) Worldwide it is number 4

Luke Skywalker was originally going to be named Luke Starkiller and retained the name up until the film begin shooting.



"I love you" - Princess Leia
"I know" - Han Solo
This famous line was improvised by Harrison Ford

In his excitement, Mark Hamill (Luke) accidentally says "Carrie" instead of "Leia" in this scene

"I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader

"Vader" is Dutch for "father"

George Lucas' birthday is May 14th. Every Star Wars film is released the week after his birthday.

R2 and C3PO (partly) out of costume



"Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!" - Princess Leia 


Basically siblings in real life


R2-D2 is named after a piece of film editor's jargon. It means "reel 2, dialog 2".


Happy Star Wars Day everyone! May the fourth be with you:)

No comments:

Post a Comment