Sunday, December 12, 2010

Student + Dying = Studying

So right now I'm sitting in the Library studying for the 2 finals I have tomorrow. Yeah it sucks... I know. I feel like my brain is rotting right now because it's so full of math and Biology terms. Yesterday was baby animal day at Starbucks (Where instead of writing your name on your drink they write a baby animal) and I was seriously considering putting Baby Protista, or Baby Planaria. So if you didn't understand how much time I'm spending in the library, well now you know. It's pretty bad when you'd rather put a biological organism on your Starbucks drink instead of a cute panda bear or whatever else. It's also bad when you're discussing animals with your smart friend and they ask "Isn't Algae an animal?" It's not. It's a plant. Last I checked plants and animals are pretty different... like so different that they are in different Kingdoms. This is what too many hours in the library does to you.

But anyway, I was trying to figure out my math final review problems and I was looking through my notes and I came across this passage I had written amongst my math notes. I thought it was kinda funny so I decided to copy it here. Keep in mind, I wrote this during my 8 am math class so the thoughts are kinda scattered... and it's written exactly like it is in my math notebook.

"At this point, I've kinda shut down. I realized that it is only 8:33 when I thought it was 8:56. Why that random time? I have no idea. I just kept thinking in my head, It's 8:56... it's gotta be 8:56. So anyway, I don't really know what I should be taking notes on right now. It's not really math. In fact, now that I'm looking, I don't see a single number on the board. Thats what I hate about this class. It's more writing than actually solving equations. I always thought that math was stuff with numbers like 1+1=2. At least I got that impression from elementary school all the way through high school. But i guess not in college.... no no no. I actually have no idea what we are doing. I also have no idea why this is still considered math. And I have no idea when we will EVER need to use this in the future. Funny story actually, when a kid asked my professor when they would need to use this in the future, you know what he said? He said "Well, if you are ever trapped on a desert island, you could just write this is the sand for fun! And you could try solving these equations with different formulas!".... he was completely serious. If you knew my math professor, you'd know he was a complete nerd and is obsessed with math. He thinks its the greatest thing in the world. In my head I was just thinking Wow! I've never thought of that before! That is a really good reason to be learning this stuff, because if I was ever trapped on a desert island, since that happens all the time, i would have a great time solving impossible math equations instead of trying to find food, shelter, or a way off the island! Thanks Brant! Brant is my math teachers first name. I like to call him that in my head since his last name, Jones, is so common. Poor Brant. He doesn't even know what's going on. Half the class is sleeping and the other half isn't writing anything down. I at least LOOK like I'm paying attention. I keep writing this and looking up so it looks like I'm paying attention and taking really good notes. He probably thinks I'm absorbing all of this so that one day (when I get stuck on a desert island) I can write it in the sand. NOT! Ok well now its 8:56. Finally! Almost time to go:) I'm outta here... oh yeah, and you should probably look over chapter 5 because I obviously didn't take any real notes... ok bye!"

And then I drew a picture of a flower.... because randomly I like doodling flowers in all my notebooks.

So yeah... that's the story of my math life. And why I'm back here in the library. And why I can't find any notes on chapter 5. Well, we'll see how this studying is going to pay off tomorrow when I take my final. I kinda wish.... wait no.... REALLY wish I didn't have to take this. I was actually facebook chatting with a guy in my class the other day and he asked "If Brant mysteriously didn't come to class on Monday (the day of our final) would we still have to take the test?" I laughed. But I'm not sure if I should have because he didn't respond after that... hmmm.... Well, See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment