Monday, April 25, 2011

The Evolution of Easter

When I look back over the years, I realize Easter has changed for me. I don't remember the exact year these changes happened so I'll basically just group them into age groups.

Earliest I can remember... 
The earliest memory I have of Easter is going to Church Easter morning. It was chaotic. I remember that my parents were trying to get me and my brother out of the house (because we were at that age where Church was booooorrrring). My brother had fallen down part of the stairs and was screaming and I had tripped over the base of the stair banister and hurt my knee. The rest was a blur of chaos.


Young years... like kindergarten/1st grade time period.
When I was little, I had it in my mind that the Easter Bunny was this 6 foot tall white bunny with a giant red bow on his neck. Something like this... except with a bigger bow-tie.


I used to write him letters because for some reason I thought the Easter Bunny was like Santa, in that he wouldn't come if you had been "bad" that year. So naturally, in my letter, I would put my explanations as to why I was mean to my brother, and then I would write all the good things I had done in hopes of canceling out the bad things.

With the help of my mom, my letter would be something like this: "Dear Easter Bunny, Sorry I've been mean to my brother Matt. Sometimes he's just real annoying. I've been really nice to all my friends though. And I'm doing good in school. I love my parents and my dog. And Easter is my favorite (flat out lying at this point). I hope you like the sticker I picked for you! Love, Alison"

I thought that maybe the Easter Bunny would see that I had actually been pretty good and therefore he would still leave me candy. I would also leave the Easter Bunny sparkly stickers from my sparkly sticker collection because I always thought that he would put the stickers on his bow-tie that he wore. I found out pretty quickly that I was the only little kid who believed this, thus ending my belief in the Easter Bunny at an early age. Santa was still cool with me though.

The majority of my childhood after I stopped believing in the Easter Bunny
These next few years are all kind of grouped together. It was typical to open Easter baskets on Easter morning after Church and then go to my Aunt's for the Easter party and the Easter egg hunt. I have a huge complaint about Easter egg hunts though. I am one of the oldest in my family, cousins included, so I would always be last. Still to this day I am last because I have always been the oldest... and yes... I still do Easter egg hunts. I'll explain later. But the hunts were always pretty intense in my family. Like if you dropped your basket and some eggs fell out... OH WELL! We were like vultures. If the egg fell out of your basket, it was gone within milliseconds. But we always got sooooo much candy.

My current years
Now Easter is more of a social thing for my cousins and I. But for some reason the adults will not stop doing Easter egg hunts. We are all really old now, but we still have to go look for the eggs they've hidden. The few young kids that are left run around in the frantic search for the plastic eggs, but us older kids have more fun with it. We'll sneak up behind the young kids and take eggs out of their baskets until they notice. Then we run away cackling. (We give them back of course, but not until the little kid catches us:) hahahaha!)  This year was even more fun because we played some games after the hunt too! We had one game where people were all given eggs. All but one were hard boiled. For the game you had to crack the egg over your head and whoever got the raw egg... well, yeah. You get the point. My Dad was the lucky winner of that egg. We also had an egg throwing game where you had to through RAW eggs at a target. My egg's shell was hard as a rock. I swear. I ended up breaking the target twice before my egg broke. This game was a whole lot of fun, but a lot of people ended up covered in raw egg... I don't even know how that happened.

I've realized that the only thing that hasn't changed for me and Easter, is the fact that my brothers and I always get a new toothbrush in our Easter basket. Yep. A toothbrush.
"What did you get for Easter?" 
"A Barbie, Candy, a boombox, and 10 dollars! What did you get?" 
"Candy and a toothbrush."
But I guess now it's kind of a tradition.
And I guess I can use that toothbrush to make sure I don't end up at the Dentist with a thousand cavities... because we all know how much I hate the Dentist...

Happy Easter!!! (A day late)

No comments:

Post a Comment