Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Nontraditional Carrot Cake

(I know it’s a little late for a thanksgiving post, but I’ve finally had enough time to sit down and write one so you’re just going to have to deal with it.)

Thanksgiving break this year was pretty good. Thanksgiving day? Not so much. Let me start at the beginning. For the past two years, my aunt has been able to get all of us cousins to go to this 5K Turkey Trot. It’s a lot of fun, but it requires us to get up at 6am on thanksgiving morning and run 3 miles. Most of us are in college now. We value sleep. So when my aunt brought up the turkey trot this year, we all looked away. The thing is, my aunt doesn’t give up easily. That can be a good thing…. Just not in this case. She kept trying to make the turkey trot sound like it was this awesome once in a lifetime thing that we were going to miss and regret our whole lives. But, trying to get us to come to the turkey trot was like trying to sell us carrot cake. No matter how you dress it up, its still carrot cake. Plain. Old. Carrot cake. No one wanted it. And no one ate it. This was the first year that no one went to the turkey trot on thanksgiving morning…. except for my aunt and my uncle. Snaps to them!

I would really like to skip my rant about my thanksgiving meal that day. My most of my aunts thought it would be funny to have a nontraditional thanksgiving dinner this year. Nontraditional as in NO mashed potatoes, NO cranberry sauce, NO green beans, and NO stuffing. I was not happy about that. NOT happy. Another downer about that day was that my Dad burned his hand really bad. He was holding those little sparklers you can run around with and draw your name in the air and stuff, and when he went to light them, they all caught fire and basically burst into flame instead of becoming all sparklerey. He got second-degree burns and had to go to the emergency room. He’s better now, don’t worry:)

Aside from the turkey trot, and the nontraditional thanksgiving dinner, the rest of my break was pretty good. I got to go to D.C with my cousins and see EVERY. SINGLE. MONUMENT. EVER. BUILT. No joke. That’s what you have to expect when you go to any sort of museum or historical place with my cousin Tim. I honestly only learned 3 new things. 1) There’s a misspelled word in the Lincoln Memorial (Freedom is spelled Ereedom), 2) If you stand in front of the Einstein statue and look him in the eyes and talk, your voice will be amplified, and 3) That the Boy Scout monument looks really weird with the half naked adults standing behind a little boy scout. Again. Really. Weird.

On black Friday we did what everyone else does, we went ice-skating:) It was a lot of fun, and I’m pretty sure if my cousin’s Tim and Melissa were given lessons, I’d be watching them in the Olympics. They are that good. Funny thing though, if you remember my post from last thanksgiving (This is our Family) you should remember when I wrote about how my cousin, Cecylia, got a number from a staff member. Well, hehehehe, guess who was working at the rink on black Friday this year? Yup! The staff member. Nick, to be exact. And the funny thing was, he remembered her from a year ago! Crazy. It’s probably because my cousins and I are a huge group that always gets into trouble because we start train lines, and speed skate, and knock over little kids. Yeeeeaaaah, now that I think about it, that’s probably why he remembered her.

To sum it up, this year I got to spend time with 40 family members packed into houses that were meant for families of 5. We went to D.C, played trivia games, ice-skated, hung out with my grandma, played a made up game called “The Block Game”, ate pizza, had sleepovers, and giggled about things like farts;) Aside from real cake and a real thanksgiving dinner, what more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment